MPV Properties predecessor, Crosland Commercial, identified an opportunity in 1989 to create a large scale mixed-use development that would bring new services to the Lake Norman area. The goal was to create a regional hub at the strategic intersection of I-77 and Sam Fur Road (Highway 73) and to foster new growth in the area by providing a new access point on I-77. After acquiring a 275-acre land tract on both sides of I-77, the following was accomplished:
- Arranged design and construction of the Sam Furr Road interchange at I-77 (Exit 25) with the N.C Department of Transportation including relocation of Highway 21 and construction of NorthCross Drive
- Developed infrastructure for roads and utilities
- Built internal roads and utility extensions
- Rezoned the property for retail, highway business, office and multi-family uses
- Established protective covenants, architectural controls and a property owners association
Result: Today NorthCross is a vibrant commercial center and a focal point for the Lake Norman area and continues to be a catalyst for the area.